November 29, 2008

thanks giving, revisited

with thanks to Mary Engelbreit

We had a beautiful holiday celebration Thursday at my sister N's house. It is a lovely home, nestled in the hills on the coast, and is my favorite place for family parties. N. and my brother in law G. are wonderful hosts, as is my niece G, and it was a delight to be there. There were nine of us at table, with Mom and Dad, A&J, Anna and me. We had all the usual plates on the table, the Great Bird, sweet potatoes, salad, cranberries... and some less typical dishes like cheesy polenta, spinach soufflé and quinoa. Of course I ate too much... especially considering that I was just getting over some stomach troubles (after Tuesday's lunch mishap) and I was punished for my gluttony by having to leave early. Alas.

N. asked us to do something that I cannot, in my fifty thanksgivings, remember ever doing with my family: we went around the table and said what we were thankful for. We toasted safe travel, good health, togetherness, the members of our family who were not there, our President Elect and Native Americans. But I was... shy. I did not speak to all that I am thankful for. It is not too late. Here is a short list, a few things for which I am grateful to God:

My children, who are strong and loving and thriving. The health and longevity of my parents. My siblings and their families, and the love that we share. My greater family - grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles - and the way they have shaped me and loved me through the years. The individual strangers who have blessed my life by becoming my friend. My once-in-a-lifetime friend. The preachers and teachers and sages who have guided me along my path. Crisp autumnal days and long nights. The ability to pay my bills, again, this month. Trees - the ones that turn color and shed their leaves, and those that don't. The opportunity to bring beauty to others in many forms. Rain. Apples. Cinnamon. Flowers - growing in my garden, or cut and arranged on the table. The wireless connection that suddenly appeared on my computer a week or two ago (and I do wish it would come back!) Singing. Feeling Christmassy. The anticipation of a challenge and opportunity for growth in a creative field. Beauty in all things!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As one of the individual strangers who have blessed you by becoming your friend, I am thankful that you have reurned the favor. Thanks for sharing