May 24, 2009

s.n.a.f.u.

(Generally speaking, I don't enjoy reading about the minutiae of tech stuff, and I know that complaints are tedious in general. However, in the interest of healthy venting, I offer the following.)

Task for the evening: get my .mac account (now called MobileMe -
why?) reinstated, up and running.
  1. Click on the old .mac link, where I know I can set up my account again (I've tried it a few times recently, but my slow connection thwarted my attempts. Or so I've thought.)
  2. Follow the steps, confirm info, send credit card info.
  3. Wait for confirmation.
  4. And wait.
  5. And wait.
  6. Contact Apple support for MobileMe. After clearing my cache and a few other basic things, the dude can't explain why it's not working.
  7. Switch browser (was on Firefox, go back to Safari), try again.
  8. My version of Safari does not support that site any longer. The site suggests Firefox.
  9. Attempt Safari upgrade.
  10. Safari cannot be updated on my operating system.
  11. Attempt upgrade of my OS to the final version available to me (Tiger v. 10.4.11, if you must know).
  12. Download v. 10.4.11.
  13. Still 7% progress after 20 minutes.
  14. Quit download, reboot.
  15. Download v. 10.4.11
  16. Success!
  17. Open v. 10.4.11
  18. "Mac OS X Update Combined (PowerPC) cannot be installed on this computer".
  19. Double check that I downloaded the version meant for my mac.
  20. check.
  21. Attempt to contact Apple support.
  22. DSL connection starts blinking off. on. off. on.
  23. off.
  24. beat head against keyboard.
  25. sigh heavily.
  26. repeat.

1 comment:

Bertamom said...

If that were me, somewhere there would have been chocolate . . . or wine . . . or both. Hope you can get it all sorted out -