May 29, 2009

worth repeating

This article ran in the San Francisco Chronicle 10 years ago, on the occasion of my parents' 50th anniversary party. With deep gratitude to our former neighbor, Mark Simon, I think it bears repeating today, my Mom and Dad's 60th wedding anniversary:

Their Door Was Always Open to Me

Good neighbors and great times remembered

Saturday, July 24, 1999

SAN BRUNO -- It is no small irony that I'm missing the Quickerts' 50th wedding anniversary celebration today, a party to which I am actually invited.

For most of my formative years in San Bruno, whenever the Quickerts had a party, I showed up, usually uninvited.

Or, more precisely, I showed up with the youthful confidence that I was always invited at the Quickerts, because that's how they made me feel.

They were my neighbors -- Bill and Norma ``Skip`` Quickert, whose anniversary is being observed today, and their five children, Pat and Dan, Nancy, Kathy and Charlie.

Pat is a year older than I, Dan the same age, and Nancy a year younger, and we spent our childhoods together, playing games in the street, laughing, arguing, building forts, and waging days-long games of ``Monopoly'' and ``Risk'' in the summer.

I lived across the street, on a windswept hill near Crestmoor High School, and I grew up in their home as much as in mine -- a home in which they still live.

A family matter is forcing me to be away unexpectedly, so I'll be unable to attend the gathering. I know it will come as a surprise to them.

I'm told that for years after I grew up and moved away, if the Quickerts were having a birthday party and there was a knock at the door, they expected me to be standing on the porch, ready for cake.

I was always at the Quickerts' house. I broke at least one window there -- Dan always blamed for breaking another because I ducked when he threw something at me -- and I broke my arm there falling off the back fence.

I was always welcomed in, a fact that still surprises me, given that I was little more than a pair of dirty glasses and a smart-alecky attitude.

Mr. Quickert was a tease with a twinkle in his eye -- big and bluff and on the lookout for harmless fun.

He was a salesman for a company that made restaurant supplies, and he worked an unusual schedule. Sometimes that meant he would get home late, rouse the kids from bed, and it would seem like a party.

It also meant that sometimes he'd bring home syrups for soft drinks or snow cones and he would treat all the kids in the neighborhood.

Once, I was annoying Pat and Dan, shining a flashlight in their bedroom window. Mr. Quickert set up a blinking spotlight and aimed it back at my room, and it ran until I gave.

He was handy -- at my home we were notoriously inept with tools.

On more than one occasion, left home without adult supervision, I broke something or something overflowed or something fell apart. He would come to my house and fix it, no questions asked.

I also remember teasing him back one morning, waiting for Dan and Pat to walk to school. They got mad at me for picking on their dad, but I can still see the look on Mr. Quickert's face that said it was fine.

Mrs. Quickert, petite and quiet, was the calm at the center of a house with five children, her husband and, usually, me.

I never heard her raise her voice, although more than once I saw the iron inside when she was saying no to her children.

She didn't laugh out loud, but her nose would wrinkle in a certain way and her smile was warm and inviting.

If Mr. Quickert made me feel like I could hold my own, Mrs. Quickert made me feel approved of. She would say nice things to me about my appearance at a time when no youngster feels good about his appearance.

She would talk to me and she would be interested in what I was saying, although heaven knows why.

I could say much more. They were always active in their church -- working on the grounds over the years. I know in her later years, Mrs. Quickert has been a busy community activist.

But what I remember -- what is at the core of my life as a boy and a young man in San Bruno -- is that they were good friends and good role models and good people.

They were good neighbors.

A few months ago, I was in the old neighborhood. I had taken someone to the church parking lot at the top of the hill. It affords a sweeping view of the Peninsula, and I was trying to explain some things about the area to a newcomer.

Mr. Quickert came walking up the hill with his dog.

We chatted a few minutes and then I blurted out that he must have been surprised I turned out all right.

``Yes, yes I am,'' he said. He paused, as though thinking it over, and then he said it again. ``Yes, I really am.''

As he turned to walk back down the hill, you could see the twinkle in his eye.

1 comment:

Bertamom said...

That is still absolutely priceless. We talk, us Moms, of "proud Mommy moments" - this must be a "proud daughter/son moment". And this makes me wish I'd grown up across the street from you, too!