January 04, 2011

something about flocks and shepherds

The cool thing (or, frankly, annoying if someone picks the "wrong one") about hymns and carols is that there can be more than one tune for a hymn. Likewise, there can be more than one hymn sung to a given tune! (Come to think of it, it can be confusing, too.)

One of my favorite Christmas carols to sing in a congregation is rarely on anyone's top ten list, so it's kind of under the popular carol radar: While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night. It is one of the first carols I ever learned - I think my Sunday School class must've sung it in a pageant or something when I was quite small. (Though I am fairly certain I would not have been able to participate in a pageant at all when I was quite small. Memories are so tricky!) It tells the story of what happened to the Bethlehem shepherds on Christmas night. I have always found it thrilling to imagine myself in their place:

While shepherds watched their flocks by night, all seated on the ground,
The angel of the Lord came down,
And glory shone around, and glory shone around.

“Fear not!” said he, for mighty dread had seized their troubled mind.
“Glad tidings of great joy I bring
To you and all mankind, to you and all mankind.

“To you, in David’s town, this day is born of David’s line
A Savior, who is Christ the Lord,
And this shall be the sign, and this shall be the sign.

“The heavenly Babe you there shall find to human view displayed,
All meanly wrapped in swathing bands,
And in a manger laid, and in a manger laid.”

Thus spake the seraph and forthwith appeared a shining throng
Of angels praising God on high,
Who thus addressed their song, who thus addressed their song:

“All glory be to God on high, and to the Earth be peace;
Good will henceforth from Heaven to men
Begin and never cease, begin and never cease!”

Here is, I think, the original tune - one that I can't recall ever singing myself - gorgeously sung by some English lads:


Lovely, no? I do know at least three versions of this carol (there are more than that, though!) and have sung them at different times of my life. This one brings memories of Skyline Choir (the video doesn't start exactly at the beginning of the song):


There is a really silly/cute interpretation of this tune, starting at about 4:30 in this clip. (I can't find it on it's own, only in this ten-minute video!) I have fond memories of Aaron and I rolling on the floor with laughter at this little guy. If you enjoy VeggieTales, you'll love it!

Here's the tune I learned as a child, and it is still my favorite. It's been interesting searching videos for these blog posts, as I do not always immediately (or ever) find what I'm looking for. I think this one captures the spirit of my memories of this song the best!


Which is your favorite? Or is it one I've missed? Do share!

No comments: