December 28, 2008

Christmastide: day 4, My Favorite Things

I'm sure my readers (both of you) are intensely interested in this list. Aren't you? Of course you are. Here are a few things that have made me very happy lately:

I listen to NPR all the time. The other night while baking, I got to listen to a collection of Christmas stories (called "Tinsel Tales" - what were they thinking?!) Every one of them made me cry. In a good way. Give it a listen!

Speaking of NPR, it doesn't feel like a Saturday if I miss Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me on the radio. It is witty, topical and fresh. Except when it's not so fresh but still very funny (usually holiday weekends); then they do an historical version or a montage of old shows. This week? They did a retrospective of the election, including Barak Obama's appearances on the show - it was very, very good.

Mrs. Sundberg is a real woman (Keillor has stated flatly that she is not one of his pseudonyms) who writes a weekly column for the Prairie Home Companion site. I think she's pretty wonderful, in a neighbor-over-the-fence sort of way. This week when I read her offering it felt almost as if she's speaking for me ~ though she is much more eloquent than I regarding "Silent Night".

The webcams of Yosemite National Park are very cool. (Recommended for daylight hours.) My favorite is the Awahnee Meadow cam. I love to watch the light change over the course of an hour or a day.

I mentioned paper folding and cutting in yesterday's post. I learned how to make these great trees one morning a few years ago when I accidentally turned on The Carol Duvall Show on HGTV. Carol's show has been canceled and isn't even being rerun on the network any more, but it was fun to watch... sometimes hokey, but always charming and often informative and inspiring!

2 comments:

Bertamom said...

I just recently discovered "Wait, Wait" - and even turned L. on to it! It is SO funny!

Anonymous said...

yeah, so if I don't answer my phone between 11 and noon on Saturday, that's why!