January 23, 2009

can you go back?

Tomorrow I am going to have lunch with two friends from an old job. A job at which I worked for nearly ten years, and from which I was summarily fired in an unfair way in 2006. While the situation of the job was often treacherous due to an over-zealous Pharissee of a supervisor, the people with whom I worked were, for the most part, warm and generous. I've missed them.

I re-connected with Adrienne on Facebook ~ which is, I suppose, the best reason to participate in Facebook. Wendy will be working tomorrow until noon-thirty-ish, so the three of us will meet near the old stomping grounds. I hope it is more enjoyable than surreal, and I am looking forward to it.


T. is in the midst of going back, but his is a longer journey, coming in and going out. Gone from church work for over a decade, he has returned to Bethany with full force, into what seems ~ at least, sometimes ~ to be a tempest of relationships and philosophies. He was met with open arms and loving hearts, and we really do believe that he is the best person for the task. I pray that his is a safe journey back.


Sometimes I entertain the fantasy of returning to an old job. No, not the ten year one, though that was a good job. The very
first eyeball job, though, was the best I ever had. I wonder at the wisdom of even considering such things. It's kind of a "if I knew then what I know now..." situation. I could be, would be, oh-so-much wiser.

On the other hand, I really don't think I could ever bring myself to it.


It is not for the faint of heart, this returning from whence you came.

3 comments:

Cioara Andrei said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
~KQ~ said...

(No offense, Cioara, but I have no way of knowing what you said - not even with the Romanian-English on line translator - and I can't have stuff I can't read hanging around the blog.)
peace, KQ

Anonymous said...

I think I can understand what you are saying here, KQ. Sometimes one has to go back to see how far one has come. I hope your time with your past colleagues brings lots of smiles and laughs. Let us know how it went!