February 05, 2009

I am an idiot; God is merciful.

Well, that was the theme for the week. (Last week.)

No, I don't make a habit of degrading myself, and I don't actually approve of it. However, sometimes the truth is the truth.

Here I am, verifiably middle-aged, and I've been staying up until the wee (somewhere between 1 and 2) hours of the morning. Then I get up before 8 to go to work, church, whatever. What on earth am I thinking? The flesh is willing, but the brain is weak. Very, very weak after less than 6 hours of sleep!

The merciful part is that on days when I am sleep-deprived and can't even focus before 10 a.m., patients have not shown up for their appointments, I've not accidentally blinded anyone, nor driven into another bumper on my way in to work. Thank you, God, for protecting this fool!

My time has not been spent wisely of late, and I've granted myself some grace around that, because "things aren't back to normal yet". My life has been in upheaval for the better part of two and a half years, and it still does not feel settled. However. It is time to think of the Present Moment as "the new normal". Time to get on with Life, at its fullest, and not as a bare minimum standard.

Time to learn how to do that. (This week. No, TODAY - always today.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again....me too. I share that vice with you.

It really is like playing with fire and ruins your day.

So WHY?? I don't know...it's fun.

Bertamom said...

Yeah, I guess normal is whatever it is today -- might be different tomorrow. And I think "settled" is more a state of mind than anything else --