February 22, 2009

victim of an urban legend

Many Springs ago now, I walked in to work snuffling and itchy-sneezy, grumbling about my allergies. "Everything is covered in a fine yellow powder", I complained bitterly. "Those stupid Acacia trees that bloom all over my neighborhood are killing me!"

I worked at the time as a receptionist in a multi-specialty clinic - for the Pediatric and Allergy department. Dr. Landon, whose specialty was in both those fields, was not only an excellent young doctor but also a genuinely cool guy. I looked up from my drip-nosed tirade, and there he was smirking at me. He shook his head. "Those poor acacia", he said, "everybody blames them."

"But...but... but that yellow powder! Everywhere! Ack!" I retorted. I just knew I was on the right track here, I just had to make him understand. Even if I had to turn sub-verbal in the process.

"You may be allergic to acacia. But you may not be. The poor acacia gets blamed for allergies at this time of year because it has yellow flowers. But lots of things bloom or give off pollen at the same time: the pine trees, junipers, fruit trees! Look at how much more of that is growing around you. It's not the acacia's fault that you are allergic to juniper pollen!"

Huh. How about that?

Poor acacia tree.

1 comment:

Bertamom said...

Yup - I got that lovely yellow powder all over my car at church, so it must be the pines. And at the dog park, you can see CLOUDS of it on a breezy day -- blowing off the trees over the field. Yow.