May 16, 2009

weekend


I had a lovely time last night with Aaron and our friend Derek at the Giants game. For many years now, I have given Aaron tickets for his birthday. Some years are leaner than others, some years the seats are better than others. This year, we were in a "view box" over the Giants dugout in the upper deck. Tim Lincecum, our 22 year old Cy Young winner, pitched - and struck out 9 batters. Sadly, the bull pen did not support him well and the Giants lost in a heartbreaker. Despite that, I had a great time, talking baseball and hanging out with my kid.

(photo courtesy of Derek Norris)
I can't think of a more enjoyable way to watch a game than sitting next to my son. He's knowledgeable, funny, and loves the game as much as anyone ever has. His buddy Derek drove all the way down from Sacramento to be with us, and he is a joy as well. Recently I saw a picture that was taken on Derek's wedding day. He was standing in a field wearing his suit and a baseball glove ~ and he was having a catch with my boy (who, as a member of the wedding party, was similarly attired) before the ceremony. It is a romantic photo, packed with meaning and love. (And I'm sorry that I don't have a copy!)

Today I have many things on my to do list: mundane tasks - laundry, housecleaning, time in the garden. But also things unique to the day: I'm going to figure out the DSL kit that arrived on Thursday, and take one more step into the 21st century. Tonight is our second Open Mic Night at Bethany, and I'm going to bake something for that (probably "crack"), and get there to set up around 5:00.

Best to get going then!

No comments: