February 15, 2010

a valentines day memory

(candy photos courtesy of Google images)
This happened one February 14th, some time in the early 70's when my younger brother and I were still living at home. It was the weekend. Mom was doing housework (I might have been helping her), Dad was working in the garage with Charlie.

Dad has always had a thing for Necco wafers, and so there are always (Necco's) conversation hearts around for Valentine's Day. Mom sent a few downstairs to Dad. He sent one back, saying something like "my way". She sent one back to him, something like "wise up".
They went back and forth for a few rounds, actually having an argument with those little candies! Gradually, though, the comments softened to "sweetheart" and "kiss me". I seem to remember a big smooch (ew!) when Dad finally came upstairs to wash up.
Another year (or maybe it was the same year?) Mom really wanted new bricks for a project in the backyard. Dad bought them, brought them home on Valentine's day, and did this, which could be seen from their bedroom window:
And that's how you stay married for 60+ years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Sweet, friend KQ -- BJ