November 19, 2009

gratitude, day 6


Today I got my stitches out. It looks... well, not quite ready yet. One of the steri-strips has already fallen off, so it will be interesting to see what happens. After that, I went to the farmer's market and got some veggies for a recipe that's coming together in my head: a vegetarian green chili. It remains to be seen if that actually gets cooked, but I think I can mostly just throw all the ingredients in the crock pot and let it cook itself. I'd hate to kill all those beautiful veggies.

I came home and wrote for a couple of hours (something I started in May for the blog, but it never came out. Today it came out, but it's not exactly seasonal... so it's still under wraps. Then I got to talk to some friends on line, and then a friend on the phone. It was so lovely to just be home, with the beautiful autumn sunshine streaming in.

Once the sun was down, I took some leftovers (mmm, ricotta and spinach-stuffed shells - but I'd already had them five or six times this week) to Mom and Dad. I visited with Mom for a while. She had been working in the back yard all day long, and looked tired, but not done in. Dad was on his way to go to the pool for his water therapy, so we didn't visit much. I'm glad that they are home, and looking so good.

Dinnertime: It is no secret that I am a fan of Trader Joe's. A lot of their stuff is cheaper, better, more awesome or more original than your typical grocery. Oh, and deeeelicious.

Not every night is gourmet city around here, but I do enjoy a nice meal. Tonight I had one of my favorites: TJ's orange chicken over (TJ's) fresh spinach. While I was heating the sauce in the microwave, I sliced up some red bell peppers and green onions, and threw that in the bowl. When the chicken came out (20 minutes at 400ยบ) it went into the bowl too. A quick toss, and poured it over that big bowl of spinach. It is was so yummy, and - well - not too unhealthy! Yum, yum and yum.
(please note that I am not known for my food photography! eek!)

And for all of these things, I am truly thankful!

1 comment:

Bertamom said...

Orange chicken is a staple here for Laura (and Monica - our 3rd daughter!). It always seems to be on the list when we shop at TJ's.