May 03, 2010

old 1st

Rose window, taken from across VanNess Ave

Visited a different church yesterday, Old First Presbyterian in SF, on Van Ness Ave. It's a place I've wanted to visit since I first saw the place a few summers ago (whilst waiting for T. to buy some sound equipment at the Guitar Center.) I took these photos then, not on Sunday...

Since that first glimpse, I've learned a few things about the church: They are the oldest active Protestant congregation in the state. They are a More Light congregation. And a local saint, Glenda Hope, was ordained into service by that congregation. Since I'm taking a bit of a break from Bethany, I thought I'd stop by and see for myself what they're up to.
the narthex is ornately painted and illuminated

I did not arrive on time. I was actually vacillating about whether to go or not... and I ended up splitting the difference and going 30 minutes late. The sermon had just begun when I walked in. I was being warmly greeted by an usher (who "ushed" me to sign the guest book and then "ushed" me to put on a name tag, and then "ushed" pointed out to me through the plate glass window - the entrance doubles as a crying room - a good place to sit) when I recognized a familiar, drawling voice. "Is that Glenda?!" Yes indeed, it was.
Rose window, from inside the Sanctuary

I had stumbled upon the celebration of Glenda's 40th anniversary of her ordination into the Ministry of Word and Sacrament. (In 1970 it was no small thing to ordain a woman to be the pastor of a church!) It was an honor to hear her preach, and that honor was doubled when she served me communion later.

I enjoyed my time at Old First. When I have visited churches in the past, they have mostly not been Presbyterian. This time, the liturgy was familiar, as was the hymnal and even the congregation... it was as if I was visiting a branch of the family I'd not yet met. The pipe organ was impressive, the choir was ... adequate, the hymns familiar, joyful and decidedly not weird - a nice change of pace for me.
exterior detail

There was an adult baptism, an infant baptism, and new members were welcomed. Communion was served in a simple and beautiful way, by intinction. They offer the congregation the choice of wine or grape juice - those who choose wine walk up the chancel steps to where the pastors serve (which is how I managed to be served by Rev. Hope.) I cannot remember the last time I had wine for communion, but it was a very long time ago, and I truly appreciated the difference.

Perhaps the most blessed thing about my experience was that I was totally unknown. All I needed to do was be there. No meetings after, no one I "had to" speak with, no duties, no distractions. It was peaceful. I want to go back - this time, for the whole service. Maybe in a couple of weeks.
exterior brick work

2 comments:

crickl's nest said...

I love beautiful architecture photos!! LOVE it. Very nice! I just want to hang them on my walls.

mmmwah!
Chrisite

Bertamom said...

If you go again, let me know - if choir's done, I just might go with ya!